Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 01/04/2020 21:00
  • Post subject: Album of the day (#3306): The Bends by Radiohead
Today's album of the day

The Bends by Radiohead (View album | Buy this album)

Year: 1995.
Overall rank: 20
Average rating: 87/100 (from 3318 votes).

Tracks:
1. Planet Telex
2. The Bends
3. High And Dry
4. Fake Plastic Trees
5. Bones
6. (Nice Dream)
7. Just
8. My Iron Lung
9. Bullet Proof...I Wish I Was
10. Black Star
11. Sulk
12. Street Spirit (Fade Out)

About album of the day: The BestEverAlbums.com album of the day is the album appearing most prominently in member charts in the previous 24 hours. If an album, or artist, has previously been selected within a x day period, the next highest album is picked instead (and so on) to ensure a bit of variety. A full history of album of the day can be viewed here.
  • Visit poster's website
CharlieBarley

United Kingdom

• Posted: 01/04/2020 22:24
  • Post subject:
That this isn't my favourite album by Radiohead shows how strong some of their output is.
It was my favourite album of the year it came out and meant the world to me at the time. Still does.
The fact that they bettered it at least twice with other albums shows the depth of their talent and creativity.
But I don't have to tell you fanboys and fangirls out there.
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 01/04/2020 22:31
  • Post subject:
Stover75 wrote:
That this isn't my favourite album by Radiohead shows how strong some of their output is.
It was my favourite album of the year it came out and meant the world to me at the time. Still does.
The fact that they bettered it at least twice with other albums shows the depth of their talent and creativity.

Laughing

As much hate as Radiohead gets, I think it's true that this is better than the best album most artists put out. And for me it's like their 4th or 5th best.
  • Visit poster's website
CharlieBarley

United Kingdom

• Posted: 01/04/2020 22:46
  • Post subject:
RoundTheBend wrote:
Stover75 wrote:

Laughing

As much hate as Radiohead gets, I think it's true that this is better than the best album most artists put out. And for me it's like their 4th or 5th best.

Agreed that it's better than a lot of artists' best efforts.
For me it's their third best after In Rainbows first followed by OK Computer.
  • Visit poster's website
DommeDamian
Imperfect, sensitive Aspie with a melody addiction

Denmark

• Posted: 01/05/2020 10:51
  • Post subject:
RoundTheBend wrote:
Stover75 wrote:

Laughing

Whatchu talkin' bout. Radiohead ain't getting no hate man. They're one of the least hated bands on the planet.

Anyways, I don't love this band no more, and The Bends is not an exception. Yet I still really enjoy it, and songs like Street Spirit is absolutely amazing.

My music:
- www.hyperfollow.com/dommedamian
Spotify: ----------------------------------------------------↓
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 01/05/2020 22:38
  • Post subject:
DommeDamian wrote:
RoundTheBend wrote:
Stover75 wrote:

Laughing

Whatchu talkin' bout. Radiohead ain't getting no hate man. They're one of the least hated bands on the planet.

Anyways, I don't love this band no more, and The Bends is not an exception. Yet I still really enjoy it, and songs like Street Spirit is absolutely amazing.

They get the hate of being "overplayed"/"being at the top" (it's common in human nature to envy or even hate the one at the top)/"but there's so many better artists out there" type hate.

If you haven't seen the hate, you just haven't seen it yet.

Now are they celebrated mostly, absolutely. I didn't say they have no love. I just said it is common to hate. Duality/Pluralism. It's a thing Smile.
  • Visit poster's website
DommeDamian
Imperfect, sensitive Aspie with a melody addiction

Denmark

• Posted: 01/06/2020 21:36
  • Post subject:
RoundTheBend wrote:
DommeDamian wrote:

They get the hate of being "overplayed"/"being at the top" (it's common in human nature to envy or even hate the one at the top)/"but there's so many better artists out there" type hate.

If you haven't seen the hate, you just haven't seen it yet.

Now are they celebrated mostly, absolutely. I didn't say they have no love. I just said it is common to hate. Duality/Pluralism. It's a thing Smile.

I mean, I used to be a diehard fan of them, but now I actually think "there's many better artists out there". I don't have a problem with them, since they're still awesome (for the most part), but when someone shoves it down my throat they're untouchable, I get pretty annoyed and deliver what could sound like hate.

Matter fact, on BEA and especially RYM, they get nothing but love in the comment box to AAAALL their albums (maybe except TKoL).

My music:
- www.hyperfollow.com/dommedamian
Spotify: ----------------------------------------------------↓
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 01/07/2020 03:06
  • Post subject:
That's for sure - if # of peeps doing the things (comments/ratings/charts)=they are loved, then yes, they and da Beatles definitely get all the love anyone could possibly get (for RYM and BEA at least).
  • Visit poster's website
Crhmgs

Mexico

• Posted: 01/07/2020 06:43
  • Post subject:
The Bends was my favourite record for a while, i still love it to death. In fact i used to prefer this one over any other Radiohead album, yes, even OK Computer (which might be my favourite RH record now) but it was just because there's not a single bad song in here, hell this thing is banger after banger after banger! and some of my all time favourite songs are here. It might lack of consistency, but the truth is that even if Radiohead ended their career after this record, they would still leave with a pretty high note in my opinion, even though The Bends was and nor is as influential or as good as many of their following releases (which might be a paradox because i know this record won't be as recognized and/or won't have the cult status that it has right now if it weren't for OK Computer, Kid A and all the records that came after) but obviously The Bends was a neccesary step to improve in what Radiohead where doing at the time, i'm saying all this because The Bends is a pretty damn good album, and in my eyes it's just as essential as any other Radiohead record, my god! just look at the average track rating of this thing, there are only a few records that can match or beat those numbers. And besides that, there's not much things i can say about this record that hadn't been said already. 10/10 A CLASSIC.

Pick Tracks: (THE WHOLE RECORD)

- The Bends
- High And Dry
- Fake Plastic Trees
- Bones
- Just
- My Iron Lung
- Bullet Proof... I Wish I Was
- Blackstar
- Street Spirit (Fade Out)
  • Visit poster's website
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 01/09/2020 22:03
  • Post subject:
Terrible album from a bunch of talent-less bozos.