Last.fm Was the Only Music Social Network That Made Sense

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
dihansse

Belgium

• Posted: 05/17/2018 19:19
  • Post subject:
I think I once created a profile but never really did a lot with it but I'm sufficiently curious and have created a new profile under the same user as here: so anybody who wants to join...

As was mentioned before, I'm not sure that my listening habits will really reflect my musical taste because already the first album I'm listening to is ELP I absolutely don't like for my Discoveries per year project d'oh!
  • Visit poster's website
craola
crayon master

United States

• Posted: 05/17/2018 19:38
  • Post subject:
dihansse wrote:
I think I once created a profile but never really did a lot with it but I'm sufficiently curious and have created a new profile under the same user as here: so anybody who wants to join...

following Smile

actually, i apparently made an account in 2010 that i've scarcely used. i did remember my login credentials though, so i'm back on as amishraging, and i'm following a good lot of y'all already.
Puncture Repair

• Posted: 05/17/2018 20:35
  • Post subject:
Damn I just remembered thisismyjam.com - that was actually a hella neat site. You could just hit play and hear what everyone was vibing with at that time.

Just seen that it's been dead for three years, feelsbad.
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 03/17/2019 20:10
  • Post subject:
signed up in 2013, never used my account... then just recently I figured out how to use it... a bit late in the game... haha.

but it integrates now with stuff (maybe already did), so if I'm listening to a physical record I just use the Universal Scrobbler and then Spotify, iTunes, and Google Play integrations.

It's kind of fun to see my music visually but I have no social side to it because I think I'm backwards... nobody use this anymore?
  • Visit poster's website
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 03/17/2019 20:30
  • Post subject:
sethmadsen wrote:
It's kind of fun to see my music visually but I have no social side to it because I think I'm backwards... nobody use this anymore?

Last.fm used to have a lot more intricate interaction in the era before streaming music was a huge acceptable thing. Before Pandora was a household name. It was THE music community and feature at the same time.

I still use last.fm’s scribbler feature but ever since they were bought by CBS their features were year-in year-out removed and scrapped. It used to have a radio feature that you could listen to by “similar artists”, “tag radio”, and so forth. In an era where sonicnet and yahoo’s music service were dead it was quite valuable to young, impressionable, and passionate music fanatics. I met a lot of friends and learned a lot about music through last.fm (one of which was the reason I joined BEA, by the way). It was a great site. Once.

It used to have an active community in the message boards, chatboxes, and such – but that’s but a distant memory now. In 2019 it is nothing but a shell of its former self. To know what last.fm was like you would've had to been on it during its peak. Around 2003-2008.

A good portion of those years on last.fm represent who I am musically and much more.
  • Visit poster's website
Rhyner
soft silly music is meaningful magical

United States

• Posted: 03/18/2019 00:57
  • Post subject:
I've been scrobbling to last.fm for a couple years now. Here is my account, if anyone cares. I don't care about social aspects of the site, I just think it's cool to have a history of everything I listen to.
  • Visit poster's website
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 03/18/2019 00:58
  • Post subject:
Rhyner wrote:
I've been scrobbling to last.fm for a couple years now. Here is my account, if anyone cares. I don't care about social aspects of the site, I just think it's cool to have a history of everything I listen to.

Well, that's good because there are no social aspects of the site anymore.
  • Visit poster's website
Purplepash
ranker, rater, & music list maker

Australia

• Posted: 03/18/2019 02:15
  • Post subject:
I only found out about last.fm a couple of years ago through this site, but I love it just for the stats. Even if they are distorted by all the different things I listen to for various projects It's still interesting to me. I wish I had of known about it years ago.
Anyway I just now followed anyone who provided their UN or link. Mine is the same as here , Purplepash.
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 03/18/2019 02:36
  • Post subject:
Gowi wrote:
Last.fm used to have a lot more intricate interaction in the era before streaming music was a huge acceptable thing. Before Pandora was a household name. It was THE music community and feature at the same time.

I still use last.fm’s scribbler feature but ever since they were bought by CBS their features were year-in year-out removed and scrapped. It used to have a radio feature that you could listen to by “similar artists”, “tag radio”, and so forth. In an era where sonicnet and yahoo’s music service were dead it was quite valuable to young, impressionable, and passionate music fanatics. I met a lot of friends and learned a lot about music through last.fm (one of which was the reason I joined BEA, by the way). It was a great site. Once.

It used to have an active community in the message boards, chatboxes, and such – but that’s but a distant memory now. In 2019 it is nothing but a shell of its former self. To know what last.fm was like you would've had to been on it during its peak. Around 2003-2008.

A good portion of those years on last.fm represent who I am musically and much more.

Gotcha - yeah that sounds like... crap it's been too long. I remember some online stuff in 2002/2003... and then I turned into a hermit, so totally missed that era. Thanks for the background info.
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 03/18/2019 02:42
  • Post subject:
Ha - I guess I'm rollin' in last.fm style now in 2019 with some friends to boot... Laughing

I find it funny I joined in 2013 and then bailed, but now I mostly like it for the visualization/stats of what I'm listening to.
  • Visit poster's website