Last.fm Was the Only Music Social Network That Made Sense

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 03/21/2019 05:18
  • Post subject:
As a reminder to Last.fm's decision to destroy their social networking functionality, this has happened in the last year.

https://getsatisfaction.com/lastfm/topi...site-pages

Quote:
Closure of Legacy Last.fm site pages

Last.fm takes the privacy of its users very seriously and towards the end of the month we will be introducing improvements to how we handle your personal information. More details about this will be posted nearer the time.

One change is that we are going to have to remove all legacy pages of the old Last.fm as these pages are read-only snapshots (like cached pages on Google or the Wayback Machine) and are no longer wired to the main user database.

While we had always planned to decommission these pages eventually, we had hoped to keep them online until a suitable replacement had been built. Unfortunately, that is no longer possible, with some exceptions outlined below:

Journals
Past journal entries will be ported over to the new site, with bbcode formatting. However, shoutbox comments cannot be preserved.

The Last.fm public API documentation
We are planning to upgrade the API soon, however in the meantime the existing API documentation will be preserved for reference along with the ability to register API keys.

Groups, Forums, and Playlists
Unfortunately, the old Last.fm groups, forums, and user playlists will no longer be accessible. We are unable to bring these features back to the website at this time.

Miscellaneous pages:
Label pages, venue pages, and build will no longer be accessible.

We apologise for any inconvenience caused by this.
  • Visit poster's website
Mythtall

• Posted: 03/21/2019 23:19
  • Post subject:
It really is a shame. You could talk to so much people on that website about music and have your mini blog sort of thing on the journals. While the last sentance could also describe BEA and the BEA Music diaries, it did function differently.

I remember sometime in 2007-2008 where they changed the format and lots of users went completely mad over it. Today I can't see a vocal reaction to anything as long as people can see the number of times they listened to a song or aritst.
mickilennial

Poland

• Posted: 03/21/2019 23:36
  • Post subject:
Mythtall wrote:
It really is a shame. You could talk to so much people on that website about music and have your mini blog sort of thing on the journals. While the last sentance could also describe BEA and the BEA Music diaries, it did function differently.

I remember sometime in 2007-2008 where they changed the format and lots of users went completely mad over it. Today I can't see a vocal reaction to anything as long as people can see the number of times they listened to a song or aritst.

There's a lot of people mad on reddit, but yeah 2007-2008 is when CBS bought Last.fm and well it was all downhill from there.
  • Visit poster's website
craola
crayon master

United States

• Posted: 03/21/2019 23:55
  • Post subject:
Mythtall wrote:
Today I can't see a vocal reaction to anything as long as people can see the number of times they listened to a song or aritst.

except it's a constant let-down in that department as well. when i'm not on wifi, it doesn't track. when i'm on bandcamp, it doesn't track. when i do the "scan" sync thing, it assumes fresh listens or something cause janelle over a couple syncs went from like 130 listens to 3000, and i know i didn't listen to her that much in between scans. i mean, it's cool that they try to track listens across devices and players and whatnot, but in practice, my last.fm is screwball. and along those lines... why doesn't spotify let you see your playcount? what'supwiththat?
mickilennial

Poland

• Posted: 03/22/2019 09:34
  • Post subject:
Last.fm is a mess. More expectedly unshocking news at 11.
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 03/22/2019 21:17
  • Post subject:
craola wrote:
and along those lines... why doesn't spotify let you see your playcount? what'supwiththat?

I do like iTunes the most for this reason. I nearly would go to Apple Music right now if it weren't for the availability of music factor (it feels like Spotify has the most... as confirmed by the RYM plugin) and my "history" with spotify (just how many playlists I've created/habits I have with it), then I'd move over now because iTunes/Apple Music apparently has way more features in this department.

I am frustrated they got rid of the way album art is presented though... I really liked the feature where you could make album art almost full screen and then you can flip through your albums almost like a physical presence.
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 03/22/2019 23:06
  • Post subject:
craola wrote:
except it's a constant let-down in that department as well. when i'm not on wifi, it doesn't track. when i'm on bandcamp, it doesn't track. when i do the "scan" sync thing, it assumes fresh listens or something cause janelle over a couple syncs went from like 130 listens to 3000, and i know i didn't listen to her that much in between scans. i mean, it's cool that they try to track listens across devices and players and whatnot, but in practice, my last.fm is screwball. and along those lines... why doesn't spotify let you see your playcount? what'supwiththat?

Also I don't have these issues... not sure what we are doing differently.

The only time I had issues is when I had both the spotify app and the last.fm app on my phone recording what I was listening to. It double dipped. But once I saw in the last.fm app how to disable that, stuff with words and fish happened.
  • Visit poster's website
baystateoftheart
Neil Young as a butternut squash

United States

• Posted: 03/22/2019 23:18
  • Post subject:
sethmadsen wrote:
I do like iTunes the most for this reason. I nearly would go to Apple Music right now if it weren't for the availability of music factor (it feels like Spotify has the most... as confirmed by the RYM plugin)

It's a very new feature on RYM and users have to add all of the links. Spotify is more popular among RYM superusers. That's all the disparity indicates. In reality, Apple Music has several million more songs in its catalogue, including several artists who aren't on Spotify.
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 03/23/2019 00:16
  • Post subject:
baystateoftheart wrote:
It's a very new feature on RYM and users have to add all of the links. Spotify is more popular among RYM superusers. That's all the disparity indicates. In reality, Apple Music has several million more songs in its catalogue, including several artists who aren't on Spotify.

Well ho diddly ho. You've nearly sold me. Like seriously. I'm currently listening to my iTunes library again... for the first time since 2011-2012 (about the time I joined this site).
  • Visit poster's website
baystateoftheart
Neil Young as a butternut squash

United States

• Posted: 03/23/2019 00:53
  • Post subject:
sethmadsen wrote:
Well ho diddly ho. You've nearly sold me. Like seriously. I'm currently listening to my iTunes library again... for the first time since 2011-2012 (about the time I joined this site).

Haha I wasn't meaning to sell you on Apple Music. I'm not very sold myself. I think Spotify is better at a lot of things, especially showing people new music. The two things keeping me with Apple Music are not wanting to abandon my huge iTunes library of eight years and having a large hoarded gift card balance that makes it free for years to come.

I was kind of trying to sell people on it in an earlier thread, but since then some technical glitches have irritated me.