Sort Overall by Genre/Sub-Genre

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
baystateoftheart
Neil Young as a butternut squash

United States

• Posted: 04/30/2020 22:01
  • Post subject:
Out of those, only the AllMusic and RYM top-level genre lists seem at all coherent.

I see some merit to workshopping a top-level genre list and creating processes to modify it later if necessary. Then top-level genres could be determined for albums based on votes (with only users of a certain level permitted to vote). I don't think a system based on user-generated tags is workable as the sole means of categorization, because you could have lots of tags that are saying very similar things in different ways.
PurpleHazel

United States

• Posted: 04/30/2020 22:07
  • Post subject:
Allowing only members who are on Level 8 or 9 to dictate genres would be way too limiting. 8's hard to get to! The direction albummaster's leaning toward sounds better.
  • Visit poster's website
baystateoftheart

United States

• Posted: 04/30/2020 22:09
  • Post subject:
Also, I would like to register my strong opposition to "world music" as a sole top-level genre used as a catch-all for regional indigenous and folk music.

There should probably be African, Asian, Caribbean, and Latin top-level genres. Possibly also European, Middle Eastern, and Pacific Islander. There is also a solid case to make for Brazilian being standalone from Latin.
baystateoftheart

United States

• Posted: 04/30/2020 22:11
  • Post subject:
PurpleHazel wrote:
Allowing only members who are on Level 8 or 9 to dictate genres would be way too limiting. 8's hard to get to! The direction albummaster's leaning toward sounds better.

True. Did someone suggest that? I was thinking level 4 or something.

Also, I'm not posting in opposition to am's ideas at all! I really like the idea of tags that anyone can add, but I think they shouldn't be the only element.
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 05/02/2020 08:59
  • Post subject:
baystateoftheart wrote:
Out of those, only the AllMusic and RYM top-level genre lists seem at all coherent.

Personally think AllMusic have the most balanced list (but obviously comes down to individual tastes and perhaps dotage for certain websites). You mentioned your distaste for the 'world' category (which I somewhat agree with), but how is regional music (as labelled by RYM) any different to that? (other than a different label for the same thing?), and what on earth is 'field music', 'expermental', ska or 'industrial' doing as a separate top level categories? They just seem to be too either too narrow (ska), unclear (field music) or too vague (experimental- experimental what?) to work as distinct categories on BEA (this is not to dismiss how they've arrived at their own list, and they no doubt suit RYM).

baystateoftheart wrote:
I see some merit to workshopping a top-level genre list and creating processes to modify it later if necessary. Then top-level genres could be determined for albums based on votes (with only users of a certain level permitted to vote). I don't think a system based on user-generated tags is workable as the sole means of categorization, because you could have lots of tags that are saying very similar things in different ways.

Definitely see this as a good approach and to some extent doing this already (rather than adding a random list to the site without seeking feedback). The way things are evolving on this thread is indeed to have a top level set of categories to allow a certain amount of filtering, and this would be supported by some kind of tagging. Whether the tagging use some kind of pre-designed 'vocabulary' (or lexicon), that's yet to be determined, but had been steering away from prescribing one as personally feel it should be more flexible to allow users more freedom, but totally get the issues that free-form tagging might cause as alluded to by Spyglass (I think everyone has seen how untidy the tagging was on Last.fm for example). Misspellings, plural/non-plural forms, synonyms and other semantic issues could be addressed with pre-defined vocabulary of tags (managed by users using a mechanism yet to be conceived).

I've collated below the harvested categories and attempted to merge the commonalities together. Some categories are common to all sites, but there's a longer list of categories that are not. I thought about attempting to merge the second list a bit further into a more condensed list, and then fine-tune the result to fit BEA.

I think something 'user friendly' is most important on BEA as not everyone that visits here will have the same level of music knowledge to know exactly what they are looking for, never mind be able to categorise it (the main use case for the website is for a user to discover new music). I'd personally like to end up with a list that people don't have to think too much when choosing a 'slot' to place an album into, and it's easier to put things into bigger buckets. A user shouldn't need to know the nuances of a particular genre (tags can be use to fine tune this). I personally don't get why rock or electronica, need numerous top-level categories yet jazz and classical just need one (but arguably have far more variation!), .The definitions and labels need to be clear and unambiguous for end users, which I know is going to be very difficult and not everyone will agree with.

Genres common to all sites:
Blues (AllMusic, Amazon, Discogs, eBay, RYM)
Classical (AllMusic, Amazon, Discogs, eBay, RYM- labelled Classical Music)
Country (AllMusic, Amazon, Discogs, eBay, RYM)
Jazz (AllMusic, Amazon, Discogs, eBay, RYM)

Condensed list of genres not common to all sites:
Ambient (RYM)
Avant-Garde (AllMusic)
Brass & Military (DIscogs)
Broadway & Vocalists (Amazon)
Children's (AllMusic, Amazon - labelled Children's Music, Discogs, eBay)
Classic Rock (Amazon)
Comedy (RYM)
Comedy/Spoken (AllMusic, eBay - labelled Comedy & Spoken Word)
Dance (RYM)
Dance & Electronic (Amazon, eBay - labelled Dance & Electronica)
Dancehall (DIscogs)
Easy Listening (AllMusic)
Electronic (AllMusic, Discogs, RYM)
Experimental (RYM)
Field Recordings (RYM)
Folk (AllMusic, Amazon, eBay, RYM)
Folk, World, & Country (DIscogs)
Funk / Soul (DIscogs)
Hard Rock & Metal (Amazon)
Hip Hop (DIscogs, RYM)
Holiday (AllMusic, Amazon, eBay)
Indie & Alternative (Amazon)
Industrial Music (RYM)
International (AllMusic, Amazon)
Latin (AllMusic, Amazon - labelled Latin Music, Discogs, eBay)
Metal (eBay, RYM)
Military (eBay)
Miscellaneous (Amazon)
Musical Theatre and Entertainment (RYM)
New Age (AllMusic, Amazon, RYM)
New Age & Easy Listening (eBay)
Non-Music (DIscogs)
Opera (Amazon)
Pop (Amazon, RYM)
Pop/Rock (AllMusic, Discogs, eBay)
Psychedelia (RYM)
Punk (RYM)
R&B (AllMusic, Amazon, RYM)
R&B & Soul (eBay)
Rap (AllMusic)
Rap & Hip-Hop (Amazon, eBay)
Reggae (AllMusic, Discogs)
Reggae, Ska & Dub (eBay)
Regional Music (RYM)
Religious (AllMusic, Amazon - labelled Christian & Gospel, eBay - labelled as Religious & Devotional)
Rock (Amazon, Discogs, eBay, RYM)
Singer/Songwriter (RYM)
Ska (RYM)
Sound Effects & Nature (eBay)
Sounds and Effects (RYM)
Soundtracks (Amazon)
Spoken Word (RYM)
Stage & Screen (AllMusic, Discogs)
Soundtracks & Musicals (eBay)
Vocal (AllMusic)
World Music (eBay)
  • Visit poster's website
PurpleHazel

United States

• Posted: 05/02/2020 09:57
  • Post subject:
albummaster wrote:
I personally don't get why rock or electronica, need numerous top-level categories yet jazz and classical just need one (but have far more variation!), .The definitions and labels need to be clear and unambiguous for end users, which I know is going to be very difficult and not everyone will agree with.

Genres common to all sites:
Blues (AllMusic, Amazon, Discogs, eBay, RYM)
Classical (AllMusic, Amazon, Discogs, eBay, RYM- labelled Classical Music)
Country (AllMusic, Amazon, Discogs, eBay, RYM)
Jazz (AllMusic, Amazon, Discogs, eBay, RYM)

Condensed list of genres not common to all sites:
Avant-Garde (AllMusic)
Children's (AllMusic, Amazon - labelled Children's Music, Discogs, eBay)
Comedy/Spoken (AllMusic, eBay - labelled Comedy & Spoken Word)
Easy Listening (AllMusic)
Electronic (AllMusic, Discogs, RYM)
Folk (AllMusic, Amazon, eBay, RYM)
Funk / Soul (DIscogs)
Hip Hop (DIscogs, RYM)
Holiday (AllMusic, Amazon, eBay)
International (AllMusic, Amazon)
Latin (AllMusic, Amazon - labelled Latin Music, Discogs, eBay)
New Age (AllMusic, Amazon, RYM)
New Age & Easy Listening (eBay)
Non-Music (DIscogs)
Opera (Amazon)
Pop (Amazon, RYM)
R&B (AllMusic, Amazon, RYM)
R&B & Soul (eBay)
Rap (AllMusic)
Rap & Hip-Hop (Amazon, eBay)
Reggae (AllMusic, Discogs)
Reggae, Ska & Dub (eBay)
Regional Music (RYM)
Religious (AllMusic, Amazon - labelled Christian & Gospel, eBay - labelled as Religious & Devotional)
Rock (Amazon, Discogs, eBay, RYM)
Stage & Screen (AllMusic, Discogs)
Soundtracks & Musicals (eBay)
Vocal (AllMusic)
World Music (eBay)

Though Folk, Hip-Hop/Rap and R&B aren't common to all the lists, the degree of commonality and common sense tell us these should be top-level genres. R&B is both very popular and houses several subgenres including Soul and Funk, and Hip-Hop/Rap is both very popular and a very distinct (or at least easy to define) genre. Though many if not all countries have folk musics, I imagine the category Folk would be reserved for English-language or at least Western folk musics. Electronic should probably be a top-level genre because of its popularity in general and on BEA -- EDM would obviously fall under that. New Age for better or worse should probably be one.

baystateoftheart wrote:
Also, I would like to register my strong opposition to "world music" as a sole top-level genre used as a catch-all for regional indigenous and folk music.

There should probably be African, Asian, Caribbean, and Latin top-level genres. Possibly also European, Middle Eastern, and Pacific Islander. There is also a solid case to make for Brazilian being standalone from Latin.

The World Music/Regional/International music debate is ticklish. Many members objected to the term World Music when a member held a genre tournament of sorts. Not sure why it's considered inferior to Regional or International except maybe the label was originally applied to Western artists who appropriated and blended various countries' musics and then was applied to the individual countries' music retroactively. Ultimately, I think baystateoftheart is right that some countries' indigenous musics will have to get their own top-level genres even though they aren't nearly as popular on BEA as rock and hip-hop, because they're very distinct musics.

The lists from the sites that sell music -- Amazon, eBay -- seem like more of a mess than the others.

Last edited by PurpleHazel on 05/02/2020 10:25; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 05/02/2020 10:22
  • Post subject:
PurpleHazel wrote:
Though Folk, Hip-Hop/Rap and R&B aren't common to all the lists, the degree of commonality and common sense tell us these should be top-level genres. R&B is both very popular and houses several subgenres including Soul and Funk, and Hip-Hop/Rap is both very popular and a very distinct (or at least easy to define) genre. Though many if not all countries have folk musics, I imagine the category Folk would be reserved for English-language or at least Western folk musics. Electronic should probably be a top-level genre because of its popularity in general and on BEA -- EDM would obviously fall under that. New Age for better or worse should probably be one.

Sounds sensible, think I agree with all of that.

PurpleHazel wrote:
The World Music/Regional/International music debate is ticklish. Many members objected to the term World Music when a member held a genre tournament of sorts. Not sure why it's considered inferior to Regional or International except maybe the label was originally applied to Western artists who appropriated and blended various countries' musics and then was applied to the individual countries' music retroactively. Ultimately, I think baystateoftheart is right that some countries' indigenous musics will have to get their own top-level genres even though they aren't nearly as popular on BEA as rock and hip-hop, because they're very distinct musics.

Tbh, this is why the 'world', 'international' or 'regional' category exists in all of these external schemas because otherwise you end up with hundreds of top-level categories with perhaps only a handful of albums in some of them*** e.g. bossa nova, flamenco etc are both distinct styles and very easy to categorise, but how useful is it to have a top level with hundreds of styles when second level tagging will ultimately provide the precision anyway. The objective of the top-level hierarchy should not be to precisely categorise something, but just broadly point somebody in the right direction (tell me which street I need and then I'll find the house).

PurpleHazel wrote:
The lists from sites that sell music -- Amazon, eBay -- seem like more of a mess than the others.

The main reason for including them is that these sites organise huge libraries of music for people to browse easily, but definitely agree there are also a few oddities..

(*** especially on BEA as we have a smaller database.

(EDIT: bossa nova is probably a bad example as Latin most likely covers it)
  • Visit poster's website
PurpleHazel

United States

• Posted: 05/02/2020 11:32
  • Post subject:
albummaster wrote:
Tbh, this is why the 'world', 'international' or 'regional' category exists in all of these external schemas because otherwise you end up with hundreds of top-level categories with perhaps only a handful of albums in some of them*** e.g. bossa nova, flamenco etc are both distinct styles and very easy to categorise, but how useful is it to have a top level with hundreds of styles when second level tagging will ultimately provide the precision anyway. The objective of the top-level hierarchy should not be to precisely categorise something, but just broadly point somebody in the right direction (tell me which street I need and then I'll find the house).

(EDIT: bossa nova is probably a bad example as Latin most likely covers it)

Baystateoftheart suggested four as a minimum: African, Asian, Caribbean and Latin. But it is a bit of a slippery slope (there will be requests for Reggae as a top level genre), and if second level tagging takes care of all the individual countries, "International" may be the least problematic of the catch-alls. Haven't heard it used that much with music, but movie buffs seem to find it acceptable in regard to "foreign" films.
  • Visit poster's website
Spyglass
Resident Metalhead

United States

• Posted: 05/02/2020 23:04
  • Post subject:
Wouldn't there be some people who would like to discover Non-English albums for that sake alone? Having a "traditional" or "international" tag could be useful. As for reggae, explaining that it's regional may not stop complaints, but it's a perfectly reasonable justification which needs not warrant a change in the placement, which would spark another reasonable argument for the original point, and vise-versa.

I don't care for the "&" categories listed above. We could have a music map discussion thread to sort out a map of the styles separated by specific category, and we'd obviously have some overlapping styles like "jazz-funk." But big genres like rock and metal DO NOT NEED MORE THAN ONE PRIMARY CATEGORY. Keeping everything at one per style is perfectly fair and fine. Pop. Rock. Move on. If you want to separate metal from rock, it's understandable, although it's also debatable.

Tagging genres based on a chart alone should be restricted to people with the ability to make either year charts or custom charts. Level 6 isn't too far off of a score. If we have a music map, we could use a "select style" function when a genre-central chart is being created. By marking it with a specific genre from a music map list, the chart could count as "official." For new users to come in and potentially abuse the system creates a risk, especially if they are serious about the points system. I achieved level 4 in a few days through release moderation and chart sizes, and it won't take much longer for a new user to acquire the score needed.
baystateoftheart

United States

• Posted: 05/03/2020 03:13
  • Post subject:
Here is my draft top-level list for consideration:

African
Ambient
Asian
Blues
Caribbean
Classical
Country
Electronic
Folk
Hip-Hop
Jazz
Latin American
Metal
Miscellaneous
New Age
Pop
R&B
Rock

I think there are so many smaller genres that we'll need a miscellaneous category for cases in which no top-level genre fits. We can create additional top-level genres if a need becomes evident. Some of the genres from the reference list albummaster created that I left out of this draft didn't have any sonic cohesiveness and are therefore more descriptions than genres. One example is religious music, which can be sonically rooted in classical, a variety of folk styles, rock, and more. Other examples include holiday, stage & screen, vocal, and soundtracks. Tougher calls to exclude as top-level genres included dance, experimental, and punk. Happy to discuss my thinking further.

Feedback?