What Do You Think of the Extra Charts Feature?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Mr. Shankly

United States

• Posted: 01/29/2012 11:52
  • Post subject: What Do You Think of the Extra Charts Feature?
I'm curious what you guys think about all the extra charts members are making now. I guess it's always nice to have new options and things to do, but I find the amount of charts kind of overwhelming to deal with, and wonder if it might be too much of a good thing. I don't spend a lot of time looking at and rating charts anymore, but tonight I thought it might be fun. It quickly became not fun, and more like tedious work. The first thing I noticed was there were 126 new or altered charts. I thought, "WTF! How is that possible?" Then as I started to look through them, I realized why. It's because users are making multiple charts, some of which are interesting, and many of which are simply taking up bandwidth, in my opinion. The volume of charts has gotten overwhelming! And I'm just curious, how many of you are really interested in what someone's top albums of 2010 are? Decade charts, I'm interested in, sure, if you're knowledgeable about music, but when it comes to single years, I'm more interested in the compiled overall list. So I intended to rate some charts, and started to get confused seeing the same members' names repeat, and my instinct to rate or a comment on a chart is to comment on an overall chart. But now I have to go back and check what the parameters of this particular chart are, so I know how to rate it. Sorry, but I think we've opened a Pandora's box, of sorts. The more= always better philosophy that seems to be the credo nowadays of BEA is not making the site better, it's making it worse! Brick wall Does anyone else feel similar?
  • Visit poster's website
GARY

Brunei Darussalam

• Posted: 01/29/2012 12:07
  • Post subject:

I like it. It has given me a chance 2 place albums on charts that I really wanted on my main chart but had no room for. I actually do frequently view peoples charts, but more times than not, I do not rate them.

It has been interesting how different members view the decades with unique angles at times. Especially the 70's and 80's.

And all I got was this silly hat

• Visit poster's website
Mr. Shankly

United States

• Posted: 01/29/2012 12:15
  • Post subject:
GARY wrote:

I like it. It has given me a chance 2 place albums on charts that I really wanted on my main chart but had no room for. I actually do frequently view peoples charts, but more times than not, I do not rate them.

It has been interesting how different members view the decades with unique angles at times. Especially the 70's and 80's.

Do you think more options for people is always a good thing or might we have a case of too many cooks in the kitchen spoiling the broth and too much of a good thing? I think for the individual making the charts, it's great fun, but looking at and rating charts these days reminds me of hacking through overgrown jungle growth with a machete. It's not fun, for me anyway.
  • Visit poster's website
GARY

Brunei Darussalam

• Posted: 01/29/2012 13:11
  • Post subject:
Mr. Shankly wrote:
GARY wrote:

Do you think more options for people is always a good thing or might we have a case of too many cooks in the kitchen spoiling the broth and too much of a good thing? I think for the individual making the charts, it's great fun, but looking at and rating charts these days reminds me of hacking through overgrown jungle growth with a machete. It's not fun, for me anyway.

I see you have been in Bork's back yard Laughing

I'm not disagreeing with you Mr. Shankly. It just so happens that it has worked out really well for me. I'm sure others will say it has not.

• Visit poster's website
purple

• Posted: 01/29/2012 14:43
  • Post subject:
I've only looked at a handful of decades charts; they're easy to avoid if you don't want to look at them.
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 01/29/2012 14:57
  • Post subject:
The existing mechanism worked better when there were less charts on the site, but it's now straining a bit under the load and needs updating. One of the main motivations for allowing people to add multiple charts was to give people more to do on the site. I think the charts could be made much easier to sift through and navigate, and something that's on the 'to do' list for February is to add some filters so that you can more easily distinguish between new and updated charts, and also to filter out decade and overall charts (and year and fun charts when they are added). CellarDoor pointed this out a while back, and I think it's a great idea - http://www.besteveralbums.com/phpBB2/vi...hp?p=70371 but I'm always a bit behind implementing the back-log of suggestions - it takes much longer to implement the ideas than to think of them!

Last edited by albummaster on 01/29/2012 15:00; edited 3 times in total
  • Visit poster's website
ShaneSpear
Thread Killah

United States

• Posted: 01/29/2012 14:57
  • Post subject:
You sure are cranky for a lazy Sunday, and you're making me feel un-lounge...y.

SMiLE MOAR Surprised
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
GARY

Brunei Darussalam

• Posted: 01/29/2012 15:05
  • Post subject:

• Visit poster's website
19loveless91
mag. druž. inf

Slovenia

• Posted: 01/29/2012 15:07
  • Post subject:
I'm too lazy to do them
  • Visit poster's website
Facetious

Pakistan

• Posted: 01/29/2012 15:12
  • Post subject:
19loveless91 wrote:
I'm too lazy to do them

Laughing I'm too lazy to properly complete my '70s chart.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website