sort by genre

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
RFNAPLES
Level 8

United States

• Posted: 06/30/2009 16:16
  • Post subject:
I hear you Jewsome, but still to me they are. But I agree that it may be a bit broad. Personally what I really want is a way of separating Rock from classical, jazz, blues, and country on the site.

I like all kinds of music, therefore, what I am interested in is what is good. I don't need any group to tell me what subcategory a song, album or artist should be listed in; upon listening to it I will decide for myself.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Send email
  • Visit poster's website
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 06/30/2009 20:14
  • Post subject:
I think 'unclassifiable' is just a catch-all for anything not caught by any of the other categories.

There's an entry for both 'avant-rock' and 'avant-jazz' under the 'alternative & punk' and 'jazz' categories ('experimental' appears under 'alternative & punk').
  • Visit poster's website
RFNAPLES
Level 8

United States

• Posted: 06/30/2009 20:31
  • Post subject:
Perhaps "Other" would be a better term than "unclassified." Haven't we classified once we categorized an album, even if it is "Other?" Unclassified could suggest we just haven't got around to it yet.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Send email
  • Visit poster's website
joannajewsom

• Posted: 06/30/2009 21:58
  • Post subject:
RFNAPLES wrote:
Perhaps "Other" would be a better term than "unclassified." Haven't we classified once we categorized an album, even if it is "Other?" Unclassified could suggest we just haven't got around to it yet.

It's "Unclassifiable," as opposed to "Unclassified." Suggesting that they did attempt to classify it, but it doesn't fit into any other the categories. I don't think we'll have to use it. Even if we use this as a basis, I'm guessing albummaster will make some changes.

I now see the Experimental subgenre under Alternative. Thanks. Althought it seems to me that Experimental would be a genre of its own, since not all Experimental music is Experimental Rock.
  • Visit poster's website
RFNAPLES
Level 8

United States

• Posted: 06/30/2009 22:08
  • Post subject:
Couldn't we use Amazon or iTunes to do the initial seeding, like we did with the "recognized" charts? Then if we want to make changes we could do a limited RYM thing. Will we categorize songs and albums since that data is available on iTunes too?
  • Visit poster's website
  • Send email
  • Visit poster's website
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 07/01/2009 18:46
  • Post subject:
Yes, we'll probably initially populate the data from a 3rd party (public domain) source and then we can allow members to submit modifications. It might be easier to do that than manually update thousands of albums. It might take a week or two to put this together given other commitments.

Looking at some usage scenarios:

1. A user arrives at site and wants to see 100 best 'hip-hop/rap' albums. We show a chart where the primary genre for an album is 'hip-hop/rap', but should we also include albums that have rap as a *secondary* genre? e.g. if Beatles primary genre is rock, should it also appear in the 'Pop' chart?

2. A user wants to generate a chart for specfic year/decade for a particular genre. Initially, we'll probably implement this functionality by adding a 'genre' parameter to the 'customize chart' functionality (rather than add to the year/decade page). at a later date, we'll add this to the year/decade stats page

any other usage scenarios we're missing?
  • Visit poster's website
RFNAPLES
Level 8

United States

• Posted: 07/01/2009 21:09
  • Post subject:
I believe we should show all albums with the selected genre, whether primary or secondary. We could list those with the primary first followed by those with a secondary. For an extreme example, let us say there is an album that is 51% jazz and 49% blues. Should we really only show it under a jazz search?
  • Visit poster's website
  • Send email
  • Visit poster's website
joannajewsom

• Posted: 07/04/2009 12:38
  • Post subject:
albummaster wrote:

1. A user arrives at site and wants to see 100 best 'hip-hop/rap' albums. We show a chart where the primary genre for an album is 'hip-hop/rap', but should we also include albums that have rap as a *secondary* genre? e.g. if Beatles primary genre is rock, should it also appear in the 'Pop' chart?

I'm up in the air on this one. I'm leaning towards no on the secondary genre showing up in the charts. It could work if users aren't too generous when assigning secondary genres. My fear is that something like Blondie's Autoamerican album, which features "Rapture", may show up on the hip-hop chart. On the other hand, something like Lauryn Hill's album should be in both R&B and Hip-Hop.

It could work if we're clear about what we mean by "secondary genre," i.e. not just one song of a certain genre.
  • Visit poster's website
joannajewsom

• Posted: 07/04/2009 12:40
  • Post subject:
RFNAPLES wrote:
For an extreme example, let us say there is an album that is 51% jazz and 49% blues. Should we really only show it under a jazz search?

That sounds like an interesting album Cool. I think an album like that should show up in both charts.
  • Visit poster's website
maxxy

United States

• Posted: 07/04/2009 13:27
  • Post subject:
Yeah. If you have an album that effectively covers two genres, then the genre listing could be "jazz/blues" and therefore appear in both searches.