Search Band/Album By Genre

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
JMan

• Posted: 12/28/2012 21:30
  • Post subject: Search Band/Album By Genre
Here are some examples. If I wanted to find Rock Opera bands, I'd find The Who, Queen, and Meat Loaf. If I wanted Hair bands, I won't name them all. But yeah, that's another suggestion.

• Posted: 12/28/2012 21:33
  • Post subject: Re: Search Band/Album By Genre
JMan wrote:
Here are some examples. If I wanted to find Rock Opera bands, I'd find The Who, Queen, and Meat Loaf. If I wanted Hair bands, I won't name them all. But yeah, that's another suggestion.

I know they produced a couple of supposed "rock operas" (a horrible term in any case), but I've never heard anyone describe The Who as a "Rock Opera band".
Puncture Repair

• Posted: 12/28/2012 22:05
  • Post subject:
Categorizing albums by genre is frequently brought up, but it would be impossible to label every single album as definitive genres. Sure Kind of Blue by Miles Davis could easily be labeled as jazz - but what about The Age of Adz by Sufjan Stevens that combines acoustic folk and experimental electric music?

• Posted: 12/28/2012 22:24
  • Post subject: Re: Search Band/Album By Genre
JMan wrote:

What is Rock Opera??? If it's something that The Who and Meat Loaf have in common then it degrades The Who, I don't like it.
Defago
Your Most Favorite User

Peru

• Posted: 12/29/2012 00:22
  • Post subject:
Maybe the usage of tags instead of defining each item as one genre. We could use Genre tags and Subgenre tags, so if an item gets 100 Alternative Rock and 10 Indie Rock tags, it would be listed under Alternative. Or maybe we could take the two most tagged genres.
  • Visit poster's website
JMan

• Posted: 01/02/2013 02:56
  • Post subject:
Well Picture Repair, list both the genres. I never said an album has to go under just one genre. Take a look at Led Zeppelin's songs. The have like 20 styles of rock in their hits.
JMan

• Posted: 01/02/2013 02:57
  • Post subject:
I really like Defango's idea. Tags.
JMan

• Posted: 01/02/2013 03:00
  • Post subject:
The Who has done one or two rock operas. Rock opera doesn't generally mean soft and girly album. A rock opera album can also be an album that tells a story, like the dystopian story of 2112 by Rush. The Who did a couple albums like this. Quadroprenia, and I think Tommy.
Happymeal

• Posted: 01/02/2013 05:58
  • Post subject:
Puncture Repair wrote:
Categorizing albums by genre is frequently brought up, but it would be impossible to label every single album as definitive genres. Sure Kind of Blue by Miles Davis could easily be labeled as jazz - but what about The Age of Adz by Sufjan Stevens that combines acoustic folk and experimental electric music?

For multiple genres, how about tagging them with all the genres(or at least the most prominent)
JMan

• Posted: 01/07/2013 00:25
  • Post subject:
I'd say at the most three genres listed should do it.